Ubooly: New Educational Toy With Interactive App
I recently received an Ubooly – the new educational toy and interactive app that works with mom or dad’s iPhone. The toy is targeted to children ages 4-9. With the app there are countless lesson packs (there’s a curriculum ranging from teaching Spanish to how to brush your teeth.)
Upon purchasing Ubooly, mom or dad answer a detailed questionnaire about their child via the app, which allows Ubooly to tailor its chats to the user. From telling a bedtime story upon request to asking kids about their favorite color, Ubooly provides engaging, customized conversation for kids.
Here’s the bummer part for me. My daughter had just broken my iTouch before I could try the app out. Also to be honest – before looking at the website – I didn’t think it was going to be an app since the toy itself looks so cuddly from the back.
Here are the features:
Lessons are developed by an in-house team of experienced educators (4 elementary school teachers)
– Currently available in orange and will be launching new colors (pink and green) soon
– $30 at Toys R Us and Amazon, and the app, available in the iTunes store, is free.
– Currently available on iPhone, and launching for Android July 31
– Ubooly originally started with a Kickstarter campaign, and eventually received over $1.5 in funding.
– New content launches include an exciting partnership with Ranger Rick coming this holiday season. Proceeds from the sale of these wildlife-themed packs that teach kids about the environment will benefit the National Wildlife Federation.
Ubooly originally started with a Kickstarter campaign, and eventually received over $1.5 in funding.
OVERALL: I’m not so sure this toy is going to catch on. First of all – do parents really want their kids playing with their iPhones? How are they going to get them back from the toy? Remember this is designed for little kids – who break things. Ubooly to me is like a furry iPhone case. That said watch the video and judge for yourself.